The settlement of Lazaret was named after the last lazaretto of the Port of Trieste.
Lazarettos, quarantine stations and hospitals for patients with infectious diseases, were built outside city limits for security purposes to prevent epidemics. The Bay of St. Bartholomew (Sv. Jernej) was also selected for its temperate climate and locally available construction materials.
Emperor Franz Joseph visited it in 1869. This is evidenced by the inscription on the entrance portal on the ltalian side of the former border crossing.